Here is our pick of best affordable lodges found within or beside Big 5 game reserves in South Africa. They offer value for money, excellent game viewing and a once-in-a-lifetime eco – safari experience.
- 5 luxury spacious tents, sleeping max 10 guests.
- Our tip - Leopard and elephant tents are private, there is no electricity – lanterns only.
- Price Guide: Full board(plus 2 game drives) R 1785
2. Mosethla Bush Camp - Madikwe Game Reserve
Madikwe’s only rustic bush camp. Eco-friendly design with elevated reed cabins set in natural bushland. The cabins have partly opened sides. Bathrooms are not en-suite – the showers are safari-style bush showers (fenced in ) heated by wood heated (“donkey”) boilers. No electricity or running water. All meals including traditional bush style (BBQ), game drives, included in the rate. Mosethla Camp is unfenced.
- 9 cabins sleeping max 16 guests
- Solar power; lanterns; non-flush toilets
- Our tip – All cabins have views. Shower + toilet set near every group of 3 cabins.
- Price Guide: R2190pp
3. Selous Tented Bush Camp – Pilanesberg Game Reserve
Situated in Mankwe Game Reserve near Pilanesberg. An friendly semi – luxury camp. 12 simply furnished en-suite elevated tents carefully placed for privacy. Twin or queen sprung beds, open-air hot water showers. En-suite has canvas and reed walls for privacy. The main lodge has comfortable armchairs and a dining area – all under a Bedouin-style tent. Choose from full board or Bed & breakfast
- 12 tents, sleeping max 24guests.
- Our tip – tent 12 has an open-air shower and a ball & claw bath.
- Price Guide: Full board(plus game activity) R 1375pp. DB&B R950pp. B&B: R750pp.
Intimate lodge offering great value – affordable accommodation and a prime location within Sabi Sand Reserve. 7 thatched chalets with canopied beds, air-conditioning and en-suite bathroom. 4 chalets have inter-leading doors, catering to friends or families. The chalets are comfortable and furnished with an African theme. Pool, bar, internet facilities. Rates include meals, game activities, teas. Drinks & Park fees extra.
- 7 chalets, sleeping max 14guests.
- Our tips - The newest chalet has a shower & bath. Chalets 3 and 7 overlook the bush. Chalet 1 and 2 are inter-leading, farthest from the main areas & closest to the river.
- Price Guide: 2013 from R2,050pp – R2665pp; 2014 from R2195 – R2850pp
Close to Johannesburg, this intimate eco-friendly camp offers a true safari experience with great value for money. 20 elevated en-suite tented chalets (4 family chalets) with phone, fans, hair dryer. Comfortable furnishings, luxury linens, showers only.
- 2 chalets, Tamboti sleeps max 2 guests; Marula sleeps max 6 guests.
- Our tips - Tent 10 (good mountain views) Tent 5 (private, bush views). The camp is unfenced.
- Price Guide: R3300 (2 adults)
- Bushwillow Lodge - near Hluhluwe-iMfolozi Game Reserve
- Elephant Plains Game Lodge - Sabi Sand game reserve.
- Gomo Gomo Game Lodge - Klaserie game reserve.
- Shindzela Tented Camp – Timbavati game reserve.
- Wildside Safari Camp – Entabeni safari conservancy.
- Woodbury Lodge -Amakhala game reserve